GATE 2017 Syllabus for Mechanical Engineering will include the study of Engineering Mathematics and Domain knowledge which are studied in the engineering course.
Applied Mechanics & Design will include the topics as mentioned-
- Strength of Materials: Stress and strain, Mohr’s circle for plane stress and plane strain, thin cylinders, bending and shear stresses, deflection of beams, torsion of circular shafts, Euler’s theory of columns
- Design: Design for static and dynamic loading; failure theories; fatigue strength and the S-N diagram, spur gears, rolling and sliding contact bearings, brakes and clutches
- Engineering Mechanics: Free body diagrams and equilibrium, trusses and frames, virtual work, kinematics and dynamics of particles and of rigid bodies in plane motion
- Vibrations: Free and forced vibration of single degree of freedom systems, vibration isolation, resonance, critical speeds of shafts.
- Theory of Machines: Displacement, velocity and acceleration analysis of plane mechanisms, dynamic analysis of slider-crank mechanism
Manufacturing & Industrial Engineering will include the questions from-
- Engineering Materials: Structure, properties, heat treatment, stress strain diagrams
- Machining and Machine Tool Operations: Mechanics of machining, single and multi-point cutting tools, tool geometry and materials, principles of non-traditional machining processes
- Computer Integrated Manufacturing
- Inventory Control
- Operations Research: Linear programming, simplex and duplex method, transportation, assignment, network flow models
- Metal Casting: Design of patterns, moulds and cores
- Forming: Plastic deformation, load estimation for bulk, metal forming processes
- Joining: Physics of welding, design considerations in welding.
- Production Planning and Control
Fluid Mechanics & Thermal Sciences will include following-
- Fluid Mechanics: Fluid properties, momentum & energy, differential equations of continuity, Bernoulli’s equation, elementary turbulent flow
- Applications: Power Engineering, I.C. Engines, Vapour refrigeration cycle, heat pumps, gas refrigeration, Reverse Brayton cycle, psychrometric chart
- Thermodynamics: Zeroth, laws, system & processes, behaviour of ideal and real gases, properties of pure substances, calculation of work and heat in ideal processes
- Heat-Transfer: Modes, one dimensional heat conduction, electrical analogy, unsteady heat conduction, various correlations for heat transfer in flow over flat plates and through pipes
Download Mechanical Engineering Gate Syllabus PDF